Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Flying from Palwaukee (Chicago Executive Airport)

After several years of not flying as pilot in command, I decided to get back into it in 2008. Since my last time flying in 2001, I had become an overworked attorney, and what little free time I had was consumed by other hobbies, particularly horseback riding and writing my first two novels. And then I fractured my back horseback riding in 2004, which required two years to fully recover. And even now, It's tough to find the time to fly as a full-time lawyer, part-time author, part-time professor, avid traveler (and being socially hyperactive)... But flying is freedom, and for that there is no sacrifice too high. So I decided to become a regular at Palwaukee (Chicago Executive Airport; PWK), just a few minutes north of O'Hare and not too far from my office. On May 20, 2008, I finally got back in the cockpit -- it felt great! I flew around Chicago's north shore (Fort Sheridan, Deerfield, Lake Forest, etc.) and then did some practice maneuvers over the lake, and then came back to Palwaukee with a perfect landing -- not bad for not having flown in 8 years!

(above) Office and hangar at Palwaukee Flyers where I rent my planes.
(see link to Google Map of Palwaukee Airport).

(above) My rental Cessna 172 after a short flight over the north shore in June 2008 (my second flight since getting back into flying regularly).

(above) On long final for Runway 16 at Palwaukee.

Copyright © 2008 A.C. Frieden. No reproduction permitted.

No comments: